SEMA News—August 2012
By Colby Martin
SEMA Action Network Unites Hobbyists/Industry to Protect Automotive Rights
”The SAN is a great network to be a part of. They let you know what’s going on with your legislature and all the hobby bills,” states Ashley Grubermann of Richton Park, Illinois. “You get the chance to speak up and have your voice heard.” She proudly wears a SAN T-shirt while posing with her ’71 Pontiac Grand Ville.
The SAN reaches out to millions of enthusiasts through regular action alerts, magazine ads, websites, Internet forums, social media sites and its monthly newsletter, Driving Force. For more than 15 years, the SAN’s effect on shaping government policy has been enormous. The SAN has successfully:
- Enacted street rod, custom vehicle, kit car and replica registration and titling laws in 22 states.
- Protected classic vehicles waiting to be restored on private property from confiscation.
- Safeguarded legal off-road nitrous-oxide use with SAN-model legislation.
- Defended enthusiasts’ rights to use more durable aftermarket exhaust systems.
- Junked state-level “Cash for Clunkers” legislation.
- Enacted legislation to lower taxes and fees for hobbyist vehicles.
- Secured U.S. Senate resolutions to honor the second Friday in July as Collector Car Appreciation Day.
- Supported efforts to save the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats.
Based on the current economic and legislative environment, the road ahead will continue to be challenging. States are seeking new avenues for generating revenue and new ways of dictating what enthusiasts can and cannot do with their vehicles. The message government is sending is clear—the hobby and industry need the SEMA Action Network now more than ever. All automotive associations, media, museums, event promoters, businesses, car clubs and other interested groups should contact the SAN to join the cause. If you haven’t already, get involved free of charge at www.SEMAsan.com. Your voice and those of your friends will help the automotive family take action and continue fighting the good fight!
SAN Members Speak Up
“We are eternally grateful for all that you and the rest of SAN does and has done to protect citizen’s rights, particularly owning and operating motor vehicles in America.”
—Grant and Carol Gooch
“I would love for more of us to become members of the SEMA Action Network. I think what you are doing is great. Thank you!
“I hope more Canadians follow what’s happening in the U.S.A. because what happens there WILL happen here. Support this group.”
“SEMA really works! From Jeep owners to drag racers and everything in between. I love your e-mails and love getting the Driving Force newsletter in the mail!”
SAN staff meet and greet current supporters and sign up new members at automotive events like the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour.
Byron Fulbright of Tulsa, Oklahoma, shows off the SAN decal on his ’73 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu.
Christian and Keith Gonzales of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, say, “We truly appreciate what you do for our hobby!”