FROM THE HILL
SEMA Membership Honors Collector Car Appreciation Day
Annual Holiday Celebrates Automotive Culture
By Colby Martin
SEMA members once again joined with car clubs, automotive businesses and enthusiasts nationwide to celebrate the 12th annual Collector Car Appreciation Day (CCAD) on July 9, 2021. A wide range of events was held across America to commemorate the special day. The celebration was designated with SEMA-requested companion resolutions introduced in the U.S. Congress by the co-chairs of the SEMA-supported Congressional Automotive Performance and Motorsports Caucus. U.S. Senate Resolution 292 (S. Res. 292) was sponsored by Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT) and Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), while Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL) and Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-GA) sponsored U.S. House of Representatives Resolution 491 (H. Res. 491).
“I introduced this resolution because cars represent so much of the American experience,” said Congressman Bishop. “From freedom to innovation, power to performance and industry to art, cars have reflected our country’s growth and leadership in the world. They also bring together enthusiasts and families who have collected these pieces of Americana—preserving them, passing them down from generation to generation and sharing their stories with neighbors and friends.
“As the co-chair of the Congressional Automotive Performance and Motorsports Caucus, I am proud to join my colleague, Congressman Bill Posey of Florida, in highlighting the contribution that cars and their collectors have made and continue to make to the American experience.”
“Collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States, and I am honored to introduce this bipartisan resolution with my colleague, Rep. Sanford Bishop,” said Congressman Posey.
Lawmakers in other regions followed Congress’ lead by adopting their own recognitions honoring the occasion. This year included the states of Louisiana, New Mexico, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin as well as the Canadian Provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
More than 90 official events were held throughout the month of July to celebrate the classics of the past and the future. These events included car club cruise-ins, open houses at SEMA-member companies, specialty shows at automobile museums and “drive your collector car to work” displays. Several participants also organized virtual celebrations and online promotions. A summary and an online photo gallery of CCAD festivities are available on the SEMA Action Network’s (SAN) website at www.semasan.com/ccad.
CCAD is supported by SEMA and its Automotive Restoration Market Organization (ARMO) and Hot Rod Industry Alliance (HRIA).
2021 SEMA Member CCAD Event Hosts:
- Aftermarket Auto Parts/Mild to Wild Classics—Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Association of California Car Clubs Inc.—Auburn, California
- Battle Born Offroad—Las Vegas, Nevada
- Bonnier Events—Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
- Camaro Central/Firebird Central/Muscle Car Central—Richmond, Kentucky
- Carlisle Events—Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Coker Tire Co.—Chattanooga, Tennessee
- D&S Automotive Collision & Restyling—Mentor, Ohio
- Daniels Performance Group—Smithfield, Virginia
- Eckler Industries—Titusville, Florida
- Griot’s Garage—Tacoma, Washington
- Iola Car Show—Iola, Wisconsin
- M1 Concourse—Pontiac, Michigan
- OC Car Guys & Gals—Westminster, California
- Race Winning Brands—Mentor, Ohio
- Speedway Motors Inc.—Lincoln, Nebraska
- Steele Rubber Products—Denver, North Carolina