SEMA News—October 2013
By Colby Martin
SEMA Members Celebrate Fourth Annual Collector Car Appreciation Day
Sponsored by Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT) and Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), the U.S. Senate resolution recognized “that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.” Lawmakers in states, provinces, counties and cities have followed the Senate’s lead by adopting their own resolutions. This year’s participants included: Michigan; New Mexico; New York; Manitoba, Canada; Nova Scotia, Canada; Las Vegas, Nevada; Madera County, California; York County, Virginia; and Washington Parish, Louisiana.
The official events included car club cruise-ins, open houses at SEMA-member companies, specialty shows at automobile museums and “drive your collector car to work” displays. Scores of other unofficial events included car shows, picnics and other gatherings. A detailed summary and online photo gallery of CCAD celebrations are available on the SEMA Action Network’s (SAN) website at www.semaSAN.com.
- American Collectors Insurance Inc.Cherry Hill, New Jersey
- BASF Corp., Huntsville, Alabama
- Camaro Central/Firebird Central/Muscle Car Industries, Richmond, Kentucky
- Coker Tire Co., Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Carlisle Events, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Eastwood Co., Pottstown, Pennsylvania
- Extreme Automotive, Corona, California
- The Filling Station, Lebanon, Oregon
- Goodguys Rod & Custom Association, Columbus, Ohio
- Hagerty Operation Ignite!, Orange County, California•Hemmings Motor News, Bennington, Vermont
- ididit Inc., Tecumseh, Michigan
- Kee Auto Top Manufacturing Co., Charlotte, North Carolina
- MSD Performance, El Paso, Texas
- Nancy Perry Productions, Glendale, Arizona
- ProMedia Events, Santa Ana, California
- Speedway Motors, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Ron’s Performance Center, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Source Interlink Media, Tampa, Florida; Irvine, California; El Segundo, California
- Steele Rubber Products, Denver, North Carolina
- Volkswagen Group of America, Auburn Hills, Michigan
Volkswagen Group of America in Auburn Hills, Michigan, attracted a diverse group of vehicles for its Collector Car Work Cruise-In.
The Old Salem AACA chapter line up members’ cars on the track at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia.
Extreme Automotive in Corona, California, hosted a CCAD open house at its shop.
An array of vehicles gathered at a “Drive Your Collector Car to Work” event at Source Interlink Media’s office in Tampa, Florida.
Wayne County Cruisers battled through the rain to hold its cruise from Goldsboro to the Hwy 55 Burgers and Shakes restaurant in Mount Olive, North Carolina.
SEMA PAC President’s Club Spotlight: Tom Brooks
Tom Brooks is the founder and president of Truckin’ Thunder, headquartered in Richmond, Virginia.
Brooks is an eight-year member of the SEMA Political Action Committee (PAC) President’s Club and previously served on SEMA’s Board of Directors.
“Over my many years working with the staff of SEMA’s office in Washington, D.C., my respect for their diligence and lobbying skill has grown,” Brooks said.
“At special events, such as the Childhelp National Day of Hope Luncheon and the SEMA Washington Rally, the staff has arranged meetings for me with the Senators and Congressmen from my home state of Virginia. I believe my membership in the SEMA PAC President’s Club is one of the best investments I’ve made, and I urge each of you to support SEMA PAC.”
For more information about SEMA PAC, contact SEMA PAC Manager Christian Robinson by phone at 202-783-6007 x20 or via e-mail at email@example.com.