By Richard Hail
Young Guns hopeful Zach Sackman is betting on a Chevy C10 to serve as his first SEMA Show build. The Fairfax, IA, resident started junior drag racing when he was nine years old and was named onto Drag Illustrated’s “30 Under 30” list in 2017. After taking welding classes in high school and attending college to learn machining, Sackman now works at Brandospeed, a local metal fabrication shop.
As a longtime fan of the C10 body style, Sackman chose the 2nd-gen body style for his entry into the Battle of the Builders competition.
- Back-halving the pickup and changing it out to a ladder bar suspension with a 9-in rear-end.
- Customized frame to house a hand-crafted fuel tank which also supports the carbon-fiber floor.
- An 8.50 cert roll cage runs from the bed through the cab.
- Interior consists of a custom center console housing a Racepak IQ3S Display Dash, which replaces the stock gauges and makes for a clean look and feel.
- Under the hood, a 565-CID Chevy big-block from Rolla Competition Engines is paired to a ProCharger F1X supercharger which cranks out 1,400 hp.
FuelTech EFI management system
Watch Sackman’s video to see and learn more about the vehicle, and bookmark the 2021 Battle of the Builders YouTube Playlist for more videos and interviews from the SEMA Battle of the Builders applicants.
Qualified industry personnel will be able to see the competition unfold live during the SEMA Show, November 2-5. The general public is welcome to attend SEMA Ignited, the official SEMA Show After-party, where they will also see the winning vehicles, as well as hundreds of SEMA Show cars and trucks parading out of the Las Vegas Convention Center following the close of the SEMA Show. SEMA Ignited will also feature Formula Drift cars in action, vintage dragsters, food trucks, music and much more.