By Ashley Reyes
National Tire Safety Week—a consumer tire safety awareness campaign by the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) taking place June 28–July 4—provides members of the SEMA Wheel & Tire Council (WTC) and other tire industry businesses with an opportunity to educate motorists about proper tire care and maintenance while increasing brand awareness and generating positive PR.
To help companies prepare in advance, the WTC will host a live webinar on May 19, at 12:00 p.m. (PDT) to share details about this year’s campaign theme, “Do Your Part, Know Your Roll.” Webinar participants will learn how staff can educate customers about tire care, safety and challenges related to tires.
- The importance of air pressure—effects on mileage, wear, gas mileage and load capability.
- Tire Industry Association (TIA) highlights for tire safety—inflation pressure maintenance on tire life and performance, and the benefits of regular rotation, PMS maintenance and tire repair.
- California law that requires replacement tires to be low rolling resistant.
- The RIM (Read, Inspect, Mount) Safety Program
- Tire registration challenges—Current voluntary registration requirements put the burden on retailers to provide customers with information. Switching to a mandatory system would put all of the burden on retailers. Without electronic ID, a mandatory tire registration and recall recovery system would be an unreasonable burden for retailers.