By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
SEMA’s Government Affairs Office has compiled a comprehensive guide on how motor-vehicle parts are regulated by the federal government. It is presented in two forms. The first is a six-page downloadable brochure that provides a concise overview. The second provides the same information with clickable links for additional background resources. Topics include the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, emissions standards (EPA and California) and special sections on lighting equipment, wheels and tires and fuel economy.
The guide also answers questions, such as:
- Is my company required to register with NHTSA?
- What are my obligations as an importer?
- What is self-certification?
- Is “DOT-approved” a legal term?
- How is lighting equipment regulated by the federal and state government?