This 1997 Toyota 4Runner was a SEMA-Sponsored High School Vehicle Build (HSVB) project for John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights, IL. The build was led by Automotive Shop Instructor and ASE Certified Technician Jim Van Bladel with assistance from Automotive and AWS Certified Fabrication Instructor Eric Dieterich and over 145 students throughout its time at the school's automotive shop with over 140 hours invested in the build.
SOLD - $26,000
Auction has officially closed.
The exterior is the factory Desert Dune color with a tan interior.
"The project began before lockdown in 2020 and students were able to complete the lift kit, intake, along with the wheels and tires before remote learning began. During the second half of the 2020-2021 school year, college credit technology education students were allowed to attend class in person. The students continued working on the build assembling the rear bumper as well as the custom interior. Most of the 2021-2022 school year was dedicated to finishing up the final details on the interior including the installation and wiring of the stereo, backup camera, and trailer wires as well as the fabrication of the front bumper and winch installation. This project was an amazing opportunity for the students to learn about not only how the systems they were working on functioned, but how they could be modified with a specific purpose and goal in mind. To build a clean, street-able, 4Runner that could also hold its own at the off-road park. As the instructor I cannot thank SEMA enough for the opportunity they provided to my students, and I am proud of what they have built."
- Jim Van Bladel, Automotive Technology Instructor
John Hersey High School
There are over $19,900 in added aftermarket and OEM parts on this build, not including the 140 plus hours of fabrication and assembly labor or consumable supplies. Overall value of the upgrades after installation is well over $26,000.
- PRP Enduro Reclining Seats and Custom Back Bench Seat
- Planted – Driver and Passenger Seat Mounting Brackets
- Husky - Front and Rear Floor Liners
- Alpine - ILX-W650 - 7" Screen Multimedia Head Unit
- Alpine - HCE-C1100 - Rear View Camera
- Alpine - S-S65C - 6.5" Type-S Component Front Speakers
- Alpine - S-S50 - 5.25" Type-S Coax Rear Speakers
- Alpine - SSB10V - 10" Type-S Subwoofer in Enclosure
- Alpine - S-A55V S-Series 5-Channel Amplifier (40wx4+300wx1)
- JL Audio - Amplifier Installation Kit and RCA Audio Cables
- Metra - Head Unit Installation Wiring Harness
- SoundShield – Sound Deadening Material
- ABT Electronics – Misc. Audio Installation Parts
- Linear Logic - ScanGauge 2 Vehicle Monitor System
- Tuffy Security Products - Universal Valuables Safe w/Camlock (included, but not currently installed)
- True North Fabrications - Front and Rear Plate Bumpers w custom powder coating
- True North Fabrications - Spare Tire Carrier Swingout (included, but not currently installed)
- CURT - 31006 24-Inch High Trailer Hitch Spare Tire Mount
- WARN Industries – VR EVO 8 Winch w/relocated controller box
- BOLT Lock – Hitch Receiver Lock, Padlock and Cable Lock (included, but not currently installed)
- Draw-Tite – 118341 Trailer Wiring Adapter Kit (Flat 4 Style)
- Diode Dynamics – SS3 LED Pod Lights w/custom 3D printed mounting adapter in bumper
- Diode Dynamics –LED Tail Light Bulbs
- AVS – Dark Smoke Bug Deflector Hood Shield (included, but not currently installed)
- AVS – In-Channel Ventvisor Front Side Window Deflectors (included, but not currently installed)
- ICON Alloys - ICON Alloys VECTOR 6, 17"x8.5 with Titanium Finish
- Atturo Tire - RT265/70/R17 Trail Blade M/T Tires, 31.9" height
- ICON Vehicle Dynamics – Stage 2 Adjustable Suspension Kit with 3" Lift
- K&N Engineering – 57-9013 Performance Air Intake System
- Borla Performance - 14659 Cat-Back Exhaust System
- PowerUp 700 Jump Start Pack
- MagicMount™ Qi Pro Charge5 for Window or Dash
- PowerVolt™ PD32 – USB A+C Home Charger
- PowerVolt™ QC38 – USB A+C Car Charger
- Assortment of USB-C, Micro-USB and Lightning cables
- ThudBuds™ True Wireless Earbuds
- Scosche Multicam Bear Logo Hat
- Scosche Sticker Pack (6)
MEET THE SCHOOL
Automotive Technology at John Hersey High School is an ASE Education Foundation Certified program that provides training to over 125 students annually in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Students learn everything from basic automotive knowledge to advanced diagnostics throughout the 4 years offered at Hersey, typically culminating in a large fabrication and customization build.
Preparing students for their next stage in life is the program's goal, whether that means going into the industry or being an informed automotive consumer/hobbyist. Students have the opportunity to earn over 10 industry certifications before graduation as well as dual credit in Automotive Technology though a local community college.