SEMA Member News—January/February 2014
Emerging Trends & Technology Network Explores Mobile Marketing at PWA
The Emerging Trends & Technology Network (ETTN) kicked off the Performance Warehouse Association’s (PWA) 40th annual conference in Phoenix, Arizona, with an engaging educational seminar entitled “How Mobile Is Radically Changing Your Business.” The seminar featured a diverse panel moderated by Tyler Tanaka, president of Cie Studios.
Focused on offering PWA attendees the latest facts about the burgeoning mobile market and strategies for capturing sales using cutting-edge devices, the panel discussed how an increasing percentage of commerce is shifting to mobile sales, how consumers are using mobile content to make purchase decisions and how companies can develop mobile content related directly to profits.
The following is a taste of what attendees learned from the discussion:
- 1.08 billion of the world’s 4 billion mobile phones are smartphones. 3.05 billion are SMS enabled. (Source: Microsoft Tag)
- Mobile Internet usage is projected to overtake desktop Internet usage by 2014. (Source: Morgan Stanley)
- Apple and Android represent more than 75% of the smartphone market. (Source: comScore)
- 74% of consumers will wait five seconds for a web page to load on their mobile device before abandoning the site. (Source: Gomez)
- 46% of consumers are unlikely to return to a mobile site if it didn’t work properly during their last visit. (Source: Gomez)
- 71% of mobile browsers expect web pages to load almost as quickly as or faster than web pages on their desktop computers. (Source: Gomez)
- Mentioning a location in mobile ads and search results can increase click-through rates up to 200%. (Source: ThinkNear)
Through a partnership with the SEMA Education Institute, this seminar and information from other past ETTN events is available to members online, free of charge. To access the seminar, visit here and enroll as an e-learner.
ETTN at the 2013 SEMA Show
In collaboration with the SEMA Education Institute, ETTN sponsored four educational seminars at the 2013 SEMA Show. Presented by Google, Source Interlink Media, MindOverEye and Trinet Solution, the topics focused on digital devices, online sales and social media.
Another chance for networking presented itself at the Young Executive Network (YEN) industry awards reception. Members of ETTN and YEN share a great deal in common. One key attribute is that young professionals are often on the cutting edge of digital and mobile trends and are flexible in trying new business strategies in an ever-changing automotive marketplace. Recognizing these important connections, the leadership of both networks collaborated at the 2013 SEMA
The successful collaboration between the two groups in 2013 resulted in plans being discussed for a joint reception at the 2014 SEMA Show, which will take place November 4–7.
All ETTN members were invited to the YEN reception, held on Tuesday night of the SEMA Show, to network with next-generation leaders, discuss emerging trends and recruit new members. YEN Chair Dan Kahn endorsed the ETTN in his reception presentation and introduced ETTN Chair Brian Reese, who gave a short speech highlighting the benefits of ETTN membership and shared how automotive professionals could join the network.