SEMA News—March 2020
|Former MPMC Chairman Rich Barsamian (left) of Advanced Clutch Technology and Mike Thermos of Nitrous Supply were inducted into the MPMC Hall of Fame at the 2019 PRI Trade Show.|
By SEMA Editors
MPMC Delivers a Competitive Edge
Unlike most of the other SEMA councils and networks, the Motorsports Parts Manufacturers Council (MPMC) does not mark the SEMA Show in November as the beginning of “the holidays.” Quite the opposite.
The Performance Racing Industry (PRI) Trade Show follows quickly in December, with the annual MPMC Media Trade Conference taking place soon after the New Year in January. By the end of the SEMA Show, MPMC’s individual members were already gearing up for those two important events and are off and running with the racing calendars getting into full swing. As we end the first quarter of 2020, now is an opportune time to take a look at the council and how MPMC can help your company gain a competitive edge.
Who Is MPMC?
The council’s membership consists of manufacturers that produce products intended primarily for use in sanctioned motorsports events and activities. MPMC is the only SEMA council whose membership is restricted to one specific organizational type: performance parts manufacturers.
Participation in MPMC also includes an annual dues supplement, the proceeds of which are used to fund council-specific projects and programs. Additionally, MPMC has specific membership requirements to ensure that a manufacturer is indeed focused on motorsports—not only by a product or products but also through marketing efforts and active involvement in motorsports.
A task force comprised of select committee volunteers vets each application against those criteria before a company is granted membership. That keeps the membership true to the core of the group and its central focus on motorsports and performance parts manufacturers.
What Do We Do?
MPMC’s primary mission is to develop education, networking and strategic resources for the preservation and advancement of the performance and motorsports industries.
Member Tools and Resources
- Business Guidelines Manual - An A-to-Z reference guide to the many challenges and opportunities specific to a motorsports parts manufacturer. Written and maintained by MPMC-member manufacturers for MPMC manufacturers.
- Education and training seminars at the annual Performance Racing Industry Trade Show - Topics at last year’s show were “Crafting a Sponsorship Proposal” and “Opportunities for Women in Motorsports.” Past topics have included digital marketing, online sales, and various panels such as engine builders, alternative fuel manufacturers and sanctioning body/manufacturer discussions.
- Media Trade Conference - Signature event for the council and for SEMA. Three-day event in which 100 MPMC-member manufacturers engage in face-to-face meetings with editorial staff from more than 100 media outlets, including editors, writers, bloggers, vloggers and influencers. Unique industry event, available exclusively to MPMC-member manufacturers.
- Member Engagement - Industry receptions and mixers, including happy hour and industry awards reception at the PRI Trade Show, media and exhibitor receptions at the Media Trade Conference, as well as general membership meetings at various industry events.
- Industry Awards - Robert E. Petersen Award for outstanding media; MPMC Hall of Fame for manufacturers, media and motorsports industry standouts.
- Social-media - Engagement with motorsports manufacturers, sanctioning bodies and media from around the country.
Why Do We Do It?
Sharing ideas and experiences among members and industry professionals supports and strengthens the entire motorsports industry.
How Do You Get Involved?
Join MPMC today at www.sema.org/mpmc.