By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
Our customers are the driving force behind our individual businesses, our industry, and our community. Our customers rallied with us and other industry leaders when the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put forth a regulation that would have made it illegal to convert a street vehicle or motorcycle into a competition-only race vehicle, forcing the EPA to withdraw the proposal. What started as a small action has become an unprecedented national movement to save our race cars.
In order to protect our right to race now and into the future, SEMA’s allies in the U.S. Congress introduced the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2016 (RPM Act) in both the House and Senate. The RPM Act simply confirms that it has always been legal to perform such modifications and will erase any doubts that the exemption applies to racing parts and vehicle modifications.
The hobby’s potency surrounding the effort to protect motorsports remains strong. As racers, fans and industry members, we must sustain this energy. Consistent action must be taken at each stage of the legislative process to drive our messages home and to GET CONGRESS TO ACT.
We urge SEMA Members to bring this energy to your storefronts, websites, and garages and mobilize your customers into to action to protect the sport we love.
Here's What You Can Do
- Contact Congress: While many legislators and government officials have voiced support for the RPM Act, many elected officials are still undecided. It only takes a few minutes.
- Sign the RPM Act letter: www.sema.org/RPMAct
- Call your Representatives directly: www.sema.org/rpm-call
- Spread the word: Post content from SEMA’s toolkit (www.sema.org/rpmtools) on your company websites, e-mail, social media, forums, blogs, etc.
- Join the hobby’s legislative voice, SEMA Action Network (SAN): For additional materials, including retail displays, first enlist at www.SEMAsan.com/join. There is no cost, spam or catch.
The rallying cry for lasting automotive freedoms has never been louder; awareness hasn’t been wider, and our momentum never greater.
Want to read more? Check out this month’s SAN spotlight.