The cost of a first-class stamp will rise by $.02, to $.44, starting on May 11, 2009. Under a 2006 law, annual postal increases may not exceed the rate of inflation (3.8% for 2008). Annual price adjustments for first-class mail and periodicals occur in May. Increases for other shipping services occur in January.
The following is a summary of select new prices:
- Letter, first ounce: $0.44
- Large envelope, first ounce: $0.88
- Parcel, first ounce: $1.22
- Additional ounces: $0.17
- Postcard: $0.28
- First-class international letter to Canada, first ounce: $0.75
- First-class international letter to Mexico, first ounce: $0.79
- First-class international letter to all other countries: $0.98
- Certified mail: $2.80
The price of a “Forever Stamp” will also increase to $0.44, but stamps purchased before May 11 at their current price of $.42 cents will always be honored since the stamp is not marked with a denomination.