Hundreds of exhibitors at the 2018 SEMA Show will be selected by international judges to win a 2019 Global Media Award, recognizing their product’s consumer appeal in each journalist’s home country.
History of Program
The SEMA Global Media Awards Program recognizes that automotive personalization and customization is growing throughout the world. While the industry has strong roots to the United States, the appeal of making cars and trucks fit one’s lifestyle is universal – and growing.
Since 2004, the SEMA Global Media Awards Program has been a staple of the SEMA Show – the premier automotive accessories trade event in the world. It involves journalists from throughout the world coming to the SEMA Show, with the purpose of identifying and discovering what new products are likely to succeed in their home countries. The participating media represent some of the industry’s top magazines and the editors are amongst the most respected in the world. Their opinions are highly regarded. Given the knowledge and expertise about the automotive markets in their countries, there is a high probability that the products they identified truly will resonate with consumers in their respective markets.
Exhibitors who have products that were selected in the SEMA Global Media Awards Program may discover that there is a strong interest for them outside the United States. We encourage all winners to learn more about the reasons behind the selection, and consider the idea of exporting the product to another country. Learn more about the market from which the award was given, and find out why the judge selected the product.
Suggestions for Exhibitors
Below are several resources to help winning exhibitors get the most out of this award:
- Contact the journalist(s), and thank them for selecting the product as a winner. Ask why they selected the product or conduct a short interview with them. Get a quote to use in a press release, social media posts, website, media kit, etc. Ask if there might be any media opportunities for the company/product.
- Why did my product catch your attention?
- What made it stand out to you?
- Why do you think my product would be well received in your country?
- How do you select your top products for this award?
- What do you think makes this product unique/different/special?
- Look for coverage of the SEMA Global Media Awards Program in the February issue of SEMA News which will include quotes from the panelists regarding their selection of the 10 products they believe will serve best in their home markets.
- Promote the fact that the product is award-winning. We recommend a press release and sharing on appropriate social networks.
- If the journalist(s) includes the product in their post-show coverage, promote and share the article. Consider adding it to a media kit, posting online, or sharing on social media networks.
- Use the SEMA Global Media Awards Program logo. Available via the “logos” link at semaphotos.com, the high-res logo can be downloaded as a jpeg.
- Use your personal photograph. Winning exhibitors who attended the Global Media Awards Ceremony at the SEMA Show, will have taken a photograph receiving the award from a SEMA representative. That photo will be available via the “Global Media Award” link at semaphotos.com – after November 16, 2018. Share on your company’s website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, etc. Take your own photos during the reception for additional share opportunities.
- Seek additional information about the country that the judge represents. SEMA has a number of studies and articles available to help learn about the automotive market abroad. Visit sema.org/international.
- Speak directly to SEMA. Contact Linda Spencer, SEMA Senior Director of International Affairs, to find out about international resources (SEMA trips abroad, access to vehicles popularly accessorized globally but not sold in the US, etc.) to assist your company and grow your customer base. For more information, contact Linda at email@example.com or 202-415-8008.
We hope this program is beneficial and presents new market opportunities for winning exhibitors.
To learn more about the SEMA Global Media Awards Program, contact Rachel Tatum, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAMPLE PRESS RELEASE
[Insert company or product logo]
Contact: [FILL IN MEDIA CONTACT]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[NAME OF COMPANY AND/OR PRODUCT] NAMED 2018 GLOBAL MEDIA AWARD
WINNER AT THE SEMA SHOW
[NAME OF COMPANY AND/OR PRODUCT] RECOGNIZED WITH [INSERT NUMBER]
GLOBAL MEDIA AWARDS AT THE SEMA SHOW
-- Product(s) Emerged Among Thousands as Voted on by Panel of International Judges --
LAS VEGAS [OR INSERT COMPANY CITY] – [DATE] –[Name of company/tagline] was recognized with [number] 2018 Global Media Award(s) this week at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas for its [name of product(s)].
[Insert quote from company executive]
The SEMA Global Media Awards Program recognizes those companies that manufacture specialty equipment products and accessories that would have mass appeal to consumers in countries outside the United States. The products are voted on by a prestigious group of international journalists who serve as judges.
“The idea of customization and personalization has been growing throughout world,” said Linda Spencer, SEMA director of international and government relations. "Our goal is to have media experts from around the world determine which new products are likely to succeed in their home markets. The automotive specialty-equipment market is made up of enthusiasts who are passionate about the hobby, and so it’s exciting to see how their love for cars, trucks and SUVs is impacting those throughout the world.”
This year’s program included about 30 judges from 19 countries. Each judge carefully reviewed and evaluated nearly 3,000 product entries at the SEMA Show before selecting the products that they felt would resonate and appeal most to consumers in their home countries.
[Insert boilerplate/company description]
# # #
Below are the judges who participated in the 2018 SEMA Show Global Media Awards Program. Use this list to find out which judges(s) selected your product(s) and which publication they represent. For their contact information, contact email@example.com or 909-978-6669. Learn more about why your product(s) were chosen and about the automotive market in their country. You’ll be able to ask questions to find out what types of vehicles are most popular and better understand the culture and lifestyle of the consumers.
As of 10/17/18