- Feb 26 2015
Truck Market - Facts At-A-Glance
There are two aspects of the truck market: 1) The light-truck market, which focuses on products that change the appearance, performance and/or handling of pickups, vans and SUVs that are for street-use only, and 2) The off-road market, which covers products designed to modify the appearance, performance and/or handling of vehicles designed to be used off paved roads.
General Market Information
- Light trucks represent more than half of all vehicles sold in the United States today. (Of the 16,515,878 new vehicles that were sold in 2006, 51.2% -- or 8,453,811 – were light trucks.)
- Sales of light-truck products are estimated at $12.46 billion at the retail level in 2006.
- 73% of full-size pickup owners and 62% of mid-size pickup owners plan to spend at least $250 on accessories for their trucks.
- Performance parts and accessories sold in the United States for the off-road market have seen a healthy increase over the past 11 years. In 2006, sales were estimated at $1.37 billion at the retail level.
- The Trucks, SUVs & Off-Road section of the SEMA Show is consistently one of the largest sections of the annual event. In 2007, 347 companies exhibited in that section of the show. Of these companies, 48 were first-time exhibitors, and 38 represented international exhibitors.
- The Light-Truck Accessory Alliance (LTAA) is the largest SEMA council with nearly 500 member-companies. These companies work together to develop effective strategies and programs that specifically address the needs of this industry. The ultimate goal is to ensure the viability and longevity of this increasingly expansive and vibrant market segment.
- SEMA has a number of market research reports dedicated to the light-truck market, including the 2005 and 2006 Light Truck Accessorization Reports, the 2006 Light Truck Report – Update, the 2005 Off-Road Market Report, and the 2007 How Tonneau Covers Affect the Coefficient of Drag Report.
# # #
Media: Please contact email@example.com to access SEMA research for your editorial needs.