Survey: SEMA Member Companies Expect Solid Business for Remainder of 2020
From May 20–29, SEMA conducted a survey of more than 1,800 professionals within the specialty-equipment industry. Despite the disruptions over the past few months, manufacturers, distributors and retailers continue to maintain a positive outlook on the situation, and expect business to pick up now that restrictions are easing.
While roughly a quarter of companies expect significantly fewer sales for the remainder of the year, three-quarters of companies report that they still expect sales figures to be better than or similar to those of 2019 or to decline by 20% or less.
While the beginning of April saw 17% of manufacturers, distributors and retailers reporting “mostly business as usual,” that jumped to more than 30% by the end of May. Nearly 90% currently say they are “mostly business as usual” or “impacted short-term, but will get through it.”
The automotive aftermarket utilizes a number of different channels to sell products. Retailers predominantly sell in-store, while manufacturers and distributors sell mostly through wholesale. Many manufacturers also use their company websites for direct sales.
Over the last few months, sales across the industry have been impacted. Because of stay-in-place restrictions, in-person transactions were limited. Consequently, the industry has seen some uptick in online sales. As restrictions ease, however, customers are likely return to shopping in-store and in person.
Overall, the industry is fairly optimistic about sales for the rest of the year. More than half of all manufacturers, distributors and retailers think their Q4 sales will be better or at least the same as last year.
Companies may not be expecting rapid sales growth in the short term, but a majority—including 50% of retailers—expect to see sales figures improve later in the year to equal or exceed 2019’s sales numbers, with distributors being the most bullish market sector.
Nicole Bradle Joins SEMA as Council Director
Nicole Bradle was hired as SEMA’s new council director. Bradle is the liaison for the Wheel & Tire Council, Emerging Trends & Technology Network and SEMA Businesswomen’s Network.
Bradle was previously the director of member relations at the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. During her time there, she redesigned the company’s member engagement model; transformed and guided the resident and fellow council; overhauled customer service; and oversaw all member-relations activities, among other responsibilities.
Before the Academy, Bradle spent 11 years at the American Society of Anesthesiology as the conference manager and later as executive director for anesthesia subspecialty societies. As executive director, she partnered with volunteer leaders to advance their missions and build solid leadership structures for future growth.
Airline Discounts Available for the 2020 SEMA Show
SEMA Show organizers have been working with major air carriers to secure discounted airfare for 2020 SEMA Show attendees and exhibitors. Alaska, Delta and United are among the airlines offering up to 10% off on round-trip airfare to Las Vegas.
- Discount: 7% off published fares.
- Valid Travel Dates: October 27–November 10, 2020.
- Online Reservations: www.alaskaair.com and enter discount code ECMD130.
- Phone Reservations: Group desk at 800-445-4435; a $15 per-person ticketing fee will be applied to phone reservations.
- Discount: Ranges from 5%–10% on full/unrestricted airfares to 2020 SEMA Show (applicable to passengers originating in the United States and Canada only).
- Valid Travel Dates: October 29–November 11, 2020.
- Online Reservations: www.delta.com and enter meeting event code NY336 in the box provided on the “Book a Flight” page.
- Phone Reservations: Delta meeting network reservations at 800-328-1111; no service fee applied to phone reservations.
- Discount: 5% or more.
- Valid Travel Dates: October 31–November 9, 2020.
- Online Reservations: www.united.com and enter offer code ZJCT820881 in the “Promotions and Certificates” box when searching for flights.
- Phone Reservations: United meetings at 800-426-1122; provide agreement code 820881 and Z code ZJCT. A service fee will be collected per ticket when booking by phone.
Hotel information is now available at www.SEMAShow.com.