Compiled by SEMA Editors
During a photo shoot at the SEMA Garage Studio, Fredric Aasbo discussed his new partnership with Rockstar Energy Drink and his goal for the 2015 season.
Fredric Aasbo Takes the Podium in Formula Drift Round 1
Fredric Aasbo and his new Rockstar Energy Drink US/Hankook Tire Scion tC slid into first place in Round 1 of the Formula Drift 2015 World Championship. Taking place on the streets of Long Beach, Aasbo continued the momentum that started in the second half of the 2014 season. The crowd of more than 20,000 fans were treated to a true battle, and in the end it came down to Aasbo and Aurimas Bakchis in the Feal Suspension/ARK Performance/Nitto Tire Hyundai Genesis Coupe. When the tire smoke cleared, judges gave the edge to Aasbo, who was thrilled to get his first win of the season on the streets of Long Beach.
“This is exactly how we want to start the season,” said Aasbo. “With a win here in Long Beach we are leading the World Championship and the Formula DRIFT Pro Championship. This being the hometown of Rockstar Energy, Scion and Hankook, it couldn’t have been any better.”
Just two weeks prior to the event in Long Beach, Aasbo stopped by the SEMA Garage to use the new Photography Studio. During the shoot, SEMA News caught up to Aasbo for a quick interview about his new partnership with Rockstar Energy Drink and his goal for the 2015 season. Click on the thumbnail to view the highlights.
For more information, visit www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. For more information on booking the SEMA Garage Photography Studio, visit www.SEMAGarage.com or email the Garage Team at email@example.com.
Formula DRIFT 2015 Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric, Rockstar Energy Drink/Hankook Tire Scion tC, Winner
2. Bakchis, Aurimas, Feal Suspension/ARK Performance/Nitto Hyundai Genesis, 2nd Place
3. Tuerck, Ryan, Ryan Tuerck Racing/Retaks/Maxxis Tires Scion FR-S, 3rd Place
4. Field, Matt, CX Racing/Yokohama Tire Nissan S14, 4th Place Place
5. Gittin, Vaughn, Monster Energy/Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR, 5th Place
6. McQuarrie, Tyler, GoPro Mobil 1 Chevrolet Camaro, 6th Place
7. Nishida, Robbie, Achilles Radial Lexus SC300, 7th Place
8. Mordaunt, Patrick, DriftPaddock.com Nissan 350Z, 8th Place
9. Forsberg, Chris, Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z, 9th Place
10. Pawlak, Justin, Roush Performance Car Crafters Ford Mustang, 10th Place
11. Yoshihara, Dai, Falken Tire/Turn 14 Distribution Subaru BRZ, 11th Place
12. Savage, Dan, SIKKY Racing Mazda RX-8, 12th Place
13. Stoneback, Geoff, Achilles Radial/Parts Shop Max Nissan S14, 13th Place
14. Ng, Charles, Maxxis/Sparkplugs.com Infiniti G37, 14th Place
15. DeNofa, Chelsea, BC Racing/Chelsea DeNofa Motorsports BMW 3 Series, 15th Place
16. Coffman, Matt, Coffman Racing Nissan S13, 16th Place
2015 Formula DRIFT Championship Presented by GoPro Top 3 Standings After One Event
1. Aasbo, Fredric, Rockstar Energy Drink/Hankook Tire Scion tC: 105.00 Points
2. Bakchis, Aurimas, Feal Suspension/ARK Performance/Nitto Hyundai Genesis: 83.00 Points
3. Tuerck, Ryan, Ryan Tuerck Racing/Retaks/Maxxis Tires Scion FR-S: 68.00 Points
The 2015 Borla Exhaust NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals, presented by Miller Welders, was held April 9–12, in Commerce, Georgia.
NMCA Racers Broke Records at Georgia's House of Speed
The 2015 Borla Exhaust NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals, presented by Miller Welders, was held April 9–12, in Commerce, Georgia, featuring heads-up and index racing. Records were set, champions fell and the action was intense at the second stop of the 2015 NMCA Flowmaster Drag Racing Series. For full event coverage and race results, visit NMCA's website.
Air Force Renews Sponsorship with Formula DRIFT
Formula DRIFT has renewed their sponsorship with the Air Force. This marks the sixth consecutive season with the Series. In addition to the Formula DRIFT sponsorship, the Air Force will continue to support driver Ryan Tuerck. Beginning at Round 2 at Road Atlanta, the Air Force will support the series with either the Vapor or X1 super car mobile tour on display in the Formula Drift paddock area. Fans attending Round 3 at Orlando Speedway and Round 4 at Wall Speedway will have the chance to experience the Air Force Rapid Strike Flight Simulator. Formula DRIFT continues to Round 2: Road to the Championship at Road Atlanta, May 8–9, 2015. Tickets are available and can be purchased via www.formuladrift.com.
Tanner Foust and Vaught Gittin Jr. return to Formula DRIFT.
Tanner Foust Returns to Drifting on Team Nitto
In addition to returning drivers Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Odi Bakchis, Nitto Tire U.S.A. Inc. is a part of two-time Formula DRIFT champion Tanner Foust's return to drifting and New Zealander Mike Whiddett's return to the United States. Not only will Nitto will provide the drivers with NT05 tires throughout the season, but they will also give them on-site technical support.
Two-time Formula DRIFT champion and Top Gear USA host Foust has made his return to drifting after a six-year hiatus. He piloted his brand-new V8-powered Volkswagen Passat drift car at the Formula DRIFT season opener in Long Beach, California, last weekend. He will also drive the car at the Road to the Championship in Braselton, Georgia, and at the Final Fight in Irwindale, California. Also new to the Nitto team for 2015 is New Zealand drifting phenom Whiddett, who will join the Formula DRIFT circuit at the series' second event in May taking place at the Road Atlanta racetrack in Braselton. He will drive the brand-new, 1,200hp "RADBUL" Mazda MX-5.
Vaughn Gittin Jr. is returning this season in his Monster Energy/Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR after taking home a third-place finish in the 2014 Formula DRIFT chase and a win at the King of Europe drift competition in Valencia, Spain. Odi Bakchis will also return to the Nitto team for the 2015 season behind the wheel of his ARK Performance/Feal Suspension Hyundai Genesis and Nissan S14.
The 7th Annual Borla Exhaust NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals, presented by Miller Welders, concluded last weekend at the Atlanta Dragway.
NMRA Racers Battle it Out During Successful Stop at Atlanta Dragway
The 7th Annual Borla Exhaust NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals, presented by Miller Welders, has concluded at the Atlanta Dragway—the second stop on the NMRA Keystone Drag Racing tour.
- VP Racing Fuels Street Outlaw: Dan Saitz was victorious over Phil Hines.
- Edelbrock Renegade: Frank Varela ran 7.70 at 182 mph, defeating Bart Tobener.
- ProCharger Coyote Modified: Haley James avenged her loss from Florida over class rival Johnny "Lightning" Wiker.
- ACT Pure Street: Jimmy Wilson took down and ended the seven-race win streak of Teddy Weaver.
- Strange Engineering Coyote Stock: Drew Lyons defeated Joe Marini.
- American Racing Headers Factory Stock: Matt Amrine of Finish Line Performance took down JJ Jones of Woodbine Motorsports with a 10.74 at 124 mph to Jones' 10.89 at 119 mph.
- Exedy Racing Clutch Modular Muscle: Adam Cox defeated Donnie Bowles Jr. with a 10.35 at 141 mph
- Detroit Locker Truck & Lightning: Greg Bagnell and his ’70 Ranchero finished on top of Matt Banks in his Gen 2 Lightning truck.
- Roush Performance Super Stang: Chad Wendel defeated Bobby Barrick.
- Flex-a-lite Open Comp: Greg Cole took the win over Wesley Dalrymple with his ’88 Mustang.
- HP Tuners True Street: Chris Escoba became a 15-time True Street winner with his twin turbocharged SVO Mustang.
Red Bull Global Rallycross Supercars drivers Mitchell DeJong and Joni Wiman (front, with OMSE Supercar). World RX Supercars drivers Timur Timerzyanov, Andreas Bakkerud and Reinis Nitiss (rear, with OMSE Lites car). Photo credit: Olsbergs MSE
Olsbergs MSE Launches International, Multi-Series Rallycross Campaign
Defending champions Olsbergs MSE have announced their return to the worldwide rallycross stage with a full roster of drivers preparing for an international, multi-championship campaign.
The team finished atop the podium in both the FIA World Rallycross Championship and the Red Bull Global Rallycross Championship last season.
In Red Bull Global Rallycross, defending champion Joni Wiman returns to the team in the Red Bull/Bluebeam Ford Fiesta ST, this year joined by Supercars newcomer Mitchell DeJong in the Red Bull Ford Fiesta ST. In World RX, drivers Reinis Nitiss and Andreas Bakkerud will be back to OMSE to defend their FIA World Rallycross Teams Championship title in a pair of red Ford Fiesta ST rallycross machines.
Also joining the team this season is Timur Timerzyanov, who will launch a wild-card campaign for the drivers' title in his Red Bull/Viatti Ford Fiesta ST. His entry will be fielded by Namus OMSE.
McLeod is backing former Formula Drift Champion Daijiro Yoshihara and the Falken Tire/Turn 14 BRZ team.
McLeod Racing Backs Former Formula D Champion
McLeod is backing former Formula DRIFT champion Daijiro Yoshihara and the Falken Tire/Turn 14 BRZ team, which coincides with the release of McLeod’s new Supremacy clutch systems and flywheels for sport-compact and European cars. McLeod’s new Supremacy lineup is available to order now.
JET Chooses VP Racing Fuels for Service at 2015 Silverstone Classic
Official Fuel Partner of Silverstone Classic 2015, JET, has chosen VP Racing Fuels to provide on-site race fuel service for this year’s Silverstone Classic. This year’s event is scheduled for July 24–26 at Silverstone Circuit—site of the 2015 Formula 1 British Grand Prix and numerous other high-profile events.
With 2015 marking VP’s 40th Anniversary, its race season began in Daytona where VP fueled the Rolex 24 Hours, followed by the Pirelli World Challenge at Circuit of the Americas in Texas and the 12 Hours of Sebring. In addition, VP will provide season-long control fuel service for IMSA, Rally America, Indy Lights and Trans Am as well as trackside sales at the Isle of Man TT and Classic TT and the SVRA vintage race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
WELD Racing Will Sponsor USAC Sprint Car Race at Kansas City’s Lakeside Speedway
WELD Racing will help bring a racing event close to home when it serves as the title sponsor for the United States Auto Club (USAC) sprint-car race at Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas. The inaugural “WELD Racing Spring Classic” will be held Sunday, April 26, as part of the 2015 AMSOIL USAC National Sprint Car schedule and marks the first return for the series to Lakeside in 14 years.