Top 10 Stories From Our Archives
Inaugural JE Pistons NMRA/NMCA West Coast Shootout Features RASR Program
Held the weekend of July 9, the inaugural JE Pistons NMRA/NMCA West Coast Shootout, Presented by Lucas Oil, brought exciting dragrace action for Southern California-area fans. Mickey Thompson sponsored the Xtreme Drag Radial and Wild Street classes, which showed cool, wheels-up action. Centerforce sponsored the naturally aspirated class and Ford Racing sponsored the popular Mustang Madness category.
An extra-special opportunity for bracket racing was the TREMEC True Street event, with an exclusive Racers Against Street Racing (RASR) promotion. The RASR category is designed to take racing off the streets and put it on the track...where it belongs! (See: http://rasr.org/)
More than 20 magazines and website administrators (including Hot Rod, Car Craft, Muscle Mustangs, 5.0 Mustang, Camaro5.com and more) mixed it up at the Auto Club Dragway ¼-mile strip with street-type racers for a good time and a good cause. Upwards of $10,000 in prizes was supplied by NMRA and NMCA sponsors, which included ACT, AEM, Aeromotive, ARP, ATI Performance Products, Auto Meter, Baer Brake Systems, Comp Cams, Edelbrock, Eibach Springs, Exedy Racing Clutch, FAST, Flowmaster, Hawk Performance, Hurst, JE Pistons, Lucas Oil, Lunati, Nitto Tire, Quick Fuel Technology, RHS, Ross Racing Pistons, SPEC Clutch and ZEX.
The following are the results from the True Street event. For complete results, visit http://www.nmcadigital.com/index2.php
RASR True Street:
- Overall Winner – Mike Nordahl – ’64 Chevy Nova – 10.258 Average (won an NHRA Wally)
- Runner-Up – Brian Rock – ’65 Pontiac GTO – 10.523 Average
- 11-Second Winner – Jacorie Gray – ’71 Chevy Vega – 11.813 Average
- 12-Second Winner – Nita Clein – ’72 Plymouth Duster – 12.004 Average
- 13-Second Winner – Norm Knox – ’11 Ford Mustang – 13.154 Average
- 14-Second Winner – Jason Lafrenz – ’93 Ford Mustang – 14.07 Average
- 15-Second Winner – Gregory Anderson – ’07 Ford Mustang – 15.229 Average
Media vs. Manufacturers True Street:
- Overall Winner – Steve Rupp with Camaro Performers – ’68 Chevy Camaro – 11.589 Average (won an NHRA Wally)
- Runner-Up – John McGann with Car Craft – ’66 Chevy Chevelle – 11.789 Average
- 12-Second Winner – Will Baty with Centerforce – ’10 Chevy Camaro – 12.160 Average (won an NHRA Wally for fastest manufacturer)
- 13-Second Winner – Evan Smith with Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords – ’12 Ford Mustang – 13.087 Average
- 14-Second Winner – Kevin McIntosh with Power TV Media – ’07 Dodge Magnum – 14.124 Average
- 15-Second Winner – Dave Wallace with Hot Rod Deluxe – ’03 Mercury Marauder – 15.998 Average
|With no fear of getting a ticket, participants went full throttle during the True Street event.||Hot Rod Editor Rob Kinnan (left) and Editor-in-chief David Freiburger both participated in the True Street challenge.
||Resting in the shade, SEMA Chairman-Elect Nate Shelton's Dodge Challenger displayed the latest gear from Hurst.