Emcee Dave McClelland hosts proceedings at the 2007 SEMA Installation Banquet & Gala Fundraiser.
More than 30 racers, including SEMA Chairman Jim Cozzie, Immediate Past Chairman Mitch Williams and representatives of the NHRA, Granatelli Motor Sports and more, are tuning up their pinewood dragsters and filling out the brackets for the inaugural SEMA Pinewood Drag Race Sponsored by Fellers and DUB Publishing. Part of SEMA's annual summer Installation Banquet & Gala Fundraiser, the Pinewood Drag Race features three classes—Stock, Modified, and Unlimited—to highlight the innovation and imagination of the specialty-equipment industry. The checkered flag will drop prior to the SEMA Hall of Fame recognition and fundraising activities.
Those interested in building a Pinewood Drag Race car with the children from Childhelp can join SEMA for a special trip to The Village of Childhelp West in Beaumont, California, where participants can help the kids sand, paint and assemble cars that will run in the Pinewood Drag Race. Contact Mike Spagnola at email@example.com for details.
For further information about the race and its rules, click here.
Scheduled for Friday, July 25, the Installation Banquet & Gala Fundraiser serves to not only thank the association's outgoing Board members and welcome those newly elected, but also to announce the newest inductees into the SEMA Hall of Fame. This year's inductees are Raymond Bleiweis, Ben Nighthorse Campbell, Corky Coker and Bob Cook—an elite group of industry innovators and pioneers who have played a key role in the automotive specialty-equipment market.
This year's event is further underscored by a program of charitable fundraising activities that also includes a golf tournament and silent auction. Proceeds from all fundraising benefits SEMA's two chosen charities, Childhelp and Victory Junction Gang Camp. Childhelp aids victims of child abuse and originally began receiving support from wheel manufacturers in 1994; it now garners significant contributions from a wide range of industry businesses.
Victory Junction Gang Camp, founded in 2004 by Kyle and Pattie Petty in honor of their son Adam, has received support from the Light-Truck Accessory Alliance and others in the industry. Victory Junction uses camping experiences in its racing-themed facilities to enrich the lives of children who suffer from chronic medical conditions or illnesses.
The golf tournament begins at 7:00 a.m. on Friday, July 25, at the Strawberry Farms Golf Club in Irvine, California. SEMA council members are among those refining their game to challenge for the Council Cup Perpetual Trophy, a friendly competition among councils to prove who has the better hackers.
A special "Council Package" price of $2,000 (a $300 discount) is available for Council Cup competitors. The package includes four rounds of golf at the tournament and dinner for four at the annual banquet and gala charity auction, to be held that evening at the Irvine Hyatt Hotel. At least one active council member must participate in the golf tournament foursome to be eligible for this special pricing offer.
Any foursome consisting of two or more active council members will automatically be entered in the Council Cup Challenge representing their council (be sure to indicate on your registration form which council you are representing).
To register for the golf tournament, click here.
Tickets and details for the SEMA Installation Banquet & Gala Fundraiser, including a schedule of activities, golf tournament entries and auction donation forms, are available at www.sema.org/gala or by contacting Lisa Moreno at firstname.lastname@example.org or 909/396-0289, ext. 105.
Finally, SEMA will host a live and silent auction during the banquet, with auction items ranging from sports memorabilia to a 2006 Victory motorcycle owned and donated by Kyle Petty. To donate an item, contact Tricia Ward at email@example.com. Some of the items include:
Kyle Petty's 2006 Victory Jackpot motorcycle. Donated by Kyle Petty Charity Ride.
Brett Favre-autographed Wilson football. Donated by Rick Rollins.
Gift certificate for a set (four) of Mickey Thompson truck tires up to 35 inches tall. Donated by Mickey Thompson Performance Tire.
Greer Black Dragster replica, 1:6 scale and over 28 inches long. Donated by GMP Die Cast.
Planet Hollywood, Las Vegas—3-day/2-night package. Donated by Planet Hollywood.
2x8 advertising space for one year on the guardwall of Virginia Motorsports Park's dragstrip, home of the Torco Racing Fuels NHRA Nationals. Donated by Virginia Motorsports Park.
Subaru Impreza Precision Diecast replica of the car that raced in the 2004 Super Taikyu Enurance Series in Japan.This 1/43-scale diecast is painstakingly detailed down the brake calipers and sponsor logos of the original (click here for more). Also offered is the E10 R/C drift car and the Wheely King 4x4 R/C monster truck. Donated by HPI Racing.
Other items include:
A reserved spot on the 2009 Kyle Petty Ride Across America motorcycle ride (includes  nights hotel accommodations, fuel for  motorcycle at all pit stops—motorcycle not included—all scheduled meals, and a commemorative designer leather jacket). Donated by Kyle Petty Charity Ride.
Voiceover services for 5- to 7-minute video production for use as point-of-purchase display, product explanation and demonstration, booth exhibit at trade show, product installation, etc. (winning bidder provides copy). Donated by Dave McClelland.
Voiceover services for a telephone answering device, with opening greeting and any other necessary announcements regarding hours of operation, forwarding to extensions, etc. (winning bidder provides copy). Donated by Dave McClelland.
Private viewing of the Smith Collection, the world’s largest collection of vintage to exotic racing engines, cars, speed equipment, pedal cars and more, at the Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, Nebraska. Tour guided by Bill “Speedy” Smith for (2) groups of four guests (same-day tour required). Includes lunch. Donated by Bill and Joyce Smith.
Two (2) front stretch tower grandstand tickets to the 2009 Shootout Under the Lights at Daytona International Speedway (February 14, 2009). Includes (2) admissions into the Sprint Fanzone located in the infield. Donated by Daytona International Speedway.
Gift basket including (2) shirts, $500 gift certificate, Mother’s bucket of detailing items and a custom-painted bowling pin. Donated by L&G Enterprises.
“Trick My Truck” package from Bushwacker, including four painted Bushwacker fender flares.
Horizon 4 Mammoth Lakes condominium rental. One-bedroom condo for 7 nights; sleeps four and includes a spa, pool and tennis court. Located near shops, restaurants and across the street from bus stop for Mammoth Mountain. Donated by the Marx Group.
Two large paintings from the 2007 SEMA Show Banquet. Donated by SEMA.
Gift certificate for any Superlift, Black Diamond or Level-It lift systems. Donated by Superlift Suspension Systems.
12-band Maximum Performance digital radar/laser detector with full-color Extreme Bright DataGraphix display. Donated by Cobra Electronics.
(4) Saturday Top Eliminator Club tickets (TEC) and (1) TEC parking pass for either the 2008 Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals or the 2009 Carquest Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals, VIP tour and a ride in the Full Throttle Express. Donated by NHRA.
- GPI (Great Plains Industries) Bulk Oil transfer pump, 115v and 16 quarts-per-minute flow rate. Includes hose, nozzle and suction pipe (intended use: dispensing non-flammable fluids, such as waste oil, hydraulic fluids, antifreeze and oil-based solvents). Mounts directly to tanks or barrels. Donated by GPI.
- (2) Half-hour golf lessons with pro Scott Miller at North Ranch Country Club, Westlake Village, California. Donated by Scott Miller/PGA.
- (2) daily tickets to any two days of the 2008 Chevron World Challenge Event (December 18–21, 2008) at Sherwood Country Club. For more details, click here. Donated by Joe Reda, Tiger Woods Foundation.
- Thermal Flex high-performance silicone hose (winning bidder contacts Thermal Flex for desired sizes and colors). Donated by Thermal Flex.
- A signed copy of How to Wire Your Hot-Rod by author Dennis Overholser. Donated by Dennis Overholser of Painless Performance.
- Lawrence Taylor-autographed football. Donated by Motorola.
- Peyton Manning-autographed football. Donated by Motorola.
- Motorola T305 portable Bluetooth hands-free kit. Donated by Motorola.
- Accura 1 Digital Tire Inflation Gauge. Donated by PCL Air Technology.
- GT Toolboxes Model 111 Toolbox Hutch, size 26 x 66 x 33 with 58,375 cu in volume. Donated by GT Toolboxes.
- (2) nights for two at Cibolo Creek Ranch, Big Bend, Texas. Meals included. Donated by Leer Truck Accessories Group/Cibolo Creek Ranch.
- 2006 Budweiser/Lucas Oil TF Team crew uniform shirt signed by Kenny and Brandon Bernstein. Donated by Kenny Bernstein Racing.
- Wireless remote control spotlight. Donated by Go Light, Inc.
- (4) Safe-T-Boost, The Intelligent Booster Cable System, units. Donated by Autoeffex.com.
- Original pencil drawing of a post-war-styled hot rod going flat out on dry lake bed. Used as cover art of SEMA News magazine, May 2008. Donated by artist Colby Martin.
- Certificate for a World Class Driving Experience for a driver and passenger (restrictions apply). List of likely cars includes Audi R8, Ferrari F430 and Mercedes SLR McLaren. Donated by Source Interlink Media.
- (6) Clean Breeze Truck Screens. Donated by Clean Breeze Truck Screens.
- "'55" Chevy neon clock. Donated by Southern Speed & Custom.
- The Ultimate "My Classic Car" Gift Pack: Premium "My Classic Car" goods, including a set of (6) Matchbox cars, DVD sets of 2006 and 2007 episodes, Legendary Fords DVD, autographed photo of Dennis Gage and more. Donated by Bradley David Productions.
- (4) tickets to Los Angeles Dodgers game (vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, August 2, 7 p.m.) at Dodger Stadium. Preferred parking included. Donated by Joe Sebergandio/Motor Media Inc.
- (2) complimentary dinners at Benihana at the Las Vegas Hilton. Donated by Las Vegas Hilton.
- (2) complimentary dinners at Casa Nicola Restaurant. Donated by Las Vegas Hilton.