Top 10 Stories From Our Archives
Gale Banks to Moderate Speed Freaks Panel Discussion February 18
|Ack Attack and Speed Demon—two of the world’s fastest vehicles—will be on display in the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum.
“Land-speed racing is an important part of American hot rodding that continues to this day with a world-wide audience. This panel discussion will demonstrate the drive, ingenuity and spirit of these speed chasers. It’s going to be one not to miss,” said Museum Executive Director Tony Thacker.
In addition to moderating the panel discussion, Banks will share his 50 years of engineering milestones, including his personal land-speed racing achievements. Guests can also see some of Banks’ pioneering innovations, systems and record-setting vehicles on display in the Museum’s Banks Power Exhibit.
Speed Freak panelists include:
- Al Teague, owner/driver of the world’s first single-engine 432 mph streamliner.
- George Poteet, co-owner/driver of Speed Demon—the world’s fastest turbo-charged car at 462 mph.
- Ron Main, Sidewinders Club president and co-owner of Speed Demon.
- Mike Akatiff, owner/driver of Ack Attack the world’s fastest motorcycle at 375 mph.
- Kenny Duttweiler, world-famous turbo-charged engine builder.
- Mike Cook, record-setting land-speed racing veteran and organizer of the Top 1 Oil World Land Speed Shootout.
The panel discussion will take place in the NHRA Motorsports Museum, Hall of Champions. Complimentary parking and light refreshments will be served.
For more information, visit Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum website or call 909-622-2133.