Restyling Market - Facts At-A-Glance
Products used to modify a vehicle’s exterior or interior after they have left the factory are what define the restyling market. As consumers desire to create something unique that fits their personal lifestyle, so, too, does the trend to customize one’s vehicle. Restyling products, which include sunroofs, ground effects, grille guards and drop-center bumpers, are functional, however, many consumers purchase them for the aesthetic appeal.
General Market Information
- Restyling products are categorized with accessory and appearance products – which is the largest segment of the industry and the only one to have increased its market share over the years, going from 51.1% in 1996, to 57.6% in 2006.
- Sales of specialty accessories and appearance products are estimated at $21.14 billion at the retail level in 2006.
- Appearance and accessory products are often a consumer’s first contact with the automotive specialty-equipment industry.
- Dealers are playing a greater role in selling specialty-equipment products. In fact, the 2006 SEMA Show saw dealers from 2,596 different companies, a 10% increase from the 2,354 companies that were represented the previous year.
- The Professional Restylers Organization (PRO) is a SEMA council dedicated to addressing the challenges facing the restyling segment of the automotive aftermarket and to developing effective strategies for dealing with industry-specific issues.
- Recognizing the market opportunities that restylers have by working with dealerships, SEMA – through the PRO council – offers members a step-by-step manual on how to partner and work with dealerships.
- Through the SEMA Installer Certification Program, installers are able to increase customer confidence and prove their expertise. Developed in cooperation with the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), the program includes four modules: electric sunroofs, body exterior components, leather interiors and roof treatments.
- The ground-breaking initiative, known as ProPledge™, protects consumers in the event of a product or installation defect that results in the denial of a vehicle warranty claim, and provides parts and labor repair or replacement at no cost to the car dealer or vehicle owner.
# # #
Media: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to access SEMA research for your editorial needs.