SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE - SEMA Memorial Scholarship Program: Connecting With the Future
SEMA Member News - September/October 2009
| The Student Program at the SEMA Show offers a one-of-a-kind
experience—an opportunity to apply schoolroom knowledge to the Show
floor. Giving these students the opportunity to learn from the best is
a valuable tool that will continually grow the talent pool of the
aftermarket for years to come. Long-term success will be built by
investing in the youth of today to lead us into tomorrow.
During the 2008 SEMA Show, more than 150 students from the U.S. and Canada registered for the first-ever Student Program. Participating students were given the opportunity to meet with the industry’s top professionals, volunteer on the Show floor and attend various socials and receptions, allowing personalized interaction with every level of the industry’s supply chain.
The student experience at the SEMA Show is one of a kind—an opportunity to apply schoolroom knowledge to the Show floor. Students travel outside their classroom comfort zone to get a firsthand glimpse of how the aftermarket industry conducts business, differentiating themselves from their peers. Giving these students the opportunity to learn from the best is a valuable tool that will continually grow the talent pool of the aftermarket for years to come. Long-term success will be built by investing in the youth of today to lead us into tomorrow.
Expanding educational options expands opportunities throughout the supply chain by training more qualified employees, enhancing the knowledge of industry principals and structuring businesses to run more smoothly. With the primary objective of providing unique learning experiences that integrate classroom learning with actual business and tradeshow opportunities, the SEMA Show student programs allow top scholars to.
- Gain awareness of the diversity and depth of the automotive aftermarket.
- Increase understanding of SEMA and its role in the automotive aftermarket industry.
- Expand personal knowledge of the SEMA Show and the market segments that compose the industry.
- Develop a perspective of the total operation of an automotive trade show.
- Gain information about potential careers in the aftermarket industry.
- Establish a network of key industry contacts.
Students who are interested in participating in the annual Student Program at the 2009 SEMA Show will be required to meet the following minimum guidelines:
- Be registered for the Show by a school representative.
- Attend the Show with a school advisor or faculty member.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student as a sophomore or higher in class standing.
- Be preparing for a career in the automotive industry.
The SEMA Show is a wonderful opportunity to get a first-hand look at a future career, distribute resumes and business cards to potential employers and represent the student’s school in a positive manner at one of the world’s largest trade shows.
Take advantage of recruiting and mentoring today’s most qualified, productive and enthusiastic students, who are poised to enhance the aftermarket industry for years to come. As a SEMA member, you are eligible to participate in student networking opportunities as well as be a mentor to our industry’s future employees. For more information on the SEMA Student Program, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship Connections on Facebook
The SEMA Memorial Scholarship Fund has created a page on Facebook.com that will serve as another way to reach out to current and new scholarship applicants. Since students are not a core SEMA membership group nor involved on a large scale in SEMA Show attendance, the scholarship fund relies on third-party referrals to reach and inform them about the scholarship program. By creating a page on Facebook, the fund will exist where they live and play and, hopefully, grow via their networks. The benefits of participation by students on the SEMA Memorial Scholarship Fund Facebook page include:
- Networking with students who have similar interests
- Being the first to learn of key dates, deadlines and announcements for the scholarship program
- Receiving updates regarding participation in the SEMA Show via the Student Program
Participants will need to have a Facebook account, which most students do. And even SEMA members can join so that they can network with some of our industry’s future professionals. The page can be accessed by entering SEMA Memorial Scholarship Fund into the search window on www.facebook.com.